Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This may be good news...

Though we must be very cautious as Iraq seems to take one step forward and then two quickly in the opposite direction.

Borzou Daragahi of the Los Angeles Times reports that bodies found in Baghdad over the past week are less numerous. He has an Army captain referenced with the same impression. Homicides seem to be down about 50 percent. There are also indications that the victims were not brutalized leading to death, as has been the custom of the Shiite death squads.

This is only one week's worth of data. It also may be a result of Sadr ordering his followers to limit their actions.

Intense fighting occurred in Baghdad today, CNN. Clashes were in mainly Sunni areas, which is important. This CNN story concerns Haifa street. There were also clashes in the neighborhood of Adhamiyah.

3 Comments:

Blogger Publia said...

The more I think about it, the more I think that good policing must to be the key. From my knowledge most US police know-how is local, not federal. Does the military have the police skills that seem to be needed? Or do we need to rethink this? I don't have a clue, but I do know that lawlessness is lawlessness. Would like to see a blog post on this aspect of the war.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

Policing is key. I agree. I have a contact that did police training in Iraq. I may be able to get a coffee with him in a week or two.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

Seems like the Shi'ite militias are following orders to lay low for a while.

I really I don't know.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home