Thursday, January 11, 2007

Reactions to Bush's speech and plan

Martin Kettle of the Guardian:
[I]t is difficult not to sense a frightening naivety about the practicalities of the operations that are envisaged on the ground, both in Baghdad and Anbar. Granted that these plans appear significantly more practical and militarily realistic than Donald Rumsfeld's original invasion, they nevertheless rest on some Rumsfeldian grand assumptions. The Iraqi army and police will bring order to the Baghdad suburbs. Oh yes? Iraqi forces backed by the five newly deployed US brigades will go door-to-door, street-to-street, suburb-to-suburb bringing confidence and a breathing space to allow reconciliation to take root. Really? No one with any memory of how difficult it was and still is for British soldiers and Northern Ireland police officers to achieve such a goal in west Belfast or the Bogside over the past 40 years will believe that until they can really see it happening.
Paul Reynolds of the BBC News notes that General Patraeus's counterinsurgency manual calls for a long term commitment to building up a government, while Bush's plan hints at a much shorter operation.

The Los Angeles Times quotes a senior administration official voicing skepticism on Maliki's motives.

The Chicago Tribune quotes a retired colonel saying 130,000 troops would be needed in Baghdad to replicate management of similar ethnic conflicts in Eastern Europe.

The Los Angeles Times reports that "gated communities" will be established in Baghdad and maintained once insurgents/militants are cleared out of the area.

Thomas Ricks and Ann Tyson, of the Washington Post, note that urban operations in Baghdad were avoided by the battle planners in 2003.

The biggest question is what will happen in Sadr City. The Financial Times notes:
However, any major military push into Sadr City will probably meet strong resistance from the militias, and spark a popular backlash, turning more of the majority Shia population of Iraq against the US. Until recently, the US military has moved lightly in the sprawling suburb, which may be home to as many as a third of the capital’s six million inhabitants. The influence of Mr Sistani, meanwhile, is also believed to be waning, as the senior cleric over the past year has sought to distance himself from the sectarian conflict.

Whereas Sunnis and even many Shia fear the Mahdi Army, in Sadr City the militiamen are often viewed as neighbourhood heroes doing the job that an ineffective police force cannot, suppressing ordinary crime protecting Shia civilians from car bombs and other attacks carried out by Sunni insurgents.
The president's address can be read here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Praguetwin said...

Read it. Didn't like it. The president's address that is. Your post is good.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

Thanks. I needed a little boost to my ego (not really) after this "thrashing".

6:45 PM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

"You want me on that wall. You need me on that wall!"

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda weird, I haven't been to italk2much since I got rated, today I go and there's your blog. I think the review was unfair in it's brevity as well as it's content. I'm not real sure that Charred did more than glance at the page and decide he could dismiss it.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

I did, Snow, I did.

Chad, thanks for your input. If you look in the comments section, note the Bogart remarks. He at least complimented me for my willingness to serve, while calling me "dumb" at the same time. But I think I made a few good (men) points in response.

Who cares what they think? Free publicity, my man.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Praguetwin said...

Waste of time arguing with those fools if you ask me.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sweetie, no one is arguing with anyone. Chris-e-poo submitted the blog and received exactly what he knew was coming based on the TOS that he read.

Anyway, it's the the review so much but how the person submitting reacts when they get what they asked for.

My opinion? This blog is boring. He could have read the entire year and a half and still would have been bored. There is nothing original in copy/paste content. There are plenty of good political blogs out there and they are the ones who input their own opinions rather than copy/pasting a bunch of crap from one news site to a blogspot. If you're going to copy/paste you could at least make sure your links actually work.

If this little bit of criticism hurt your feelings you're going to have a shit of a time in bootcamp. Just pray you don't get my sister as your DI. She's not exactly in the best of moods that early in the morning.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I went to italk2much and it seems no one comes up to their "standards". The sight kind of reminds me of the "yo mamma" jokes or the "ranking" of the 60s and 70s.

Just keep in mind that opinions are like A holes. Everybody has one. It this case though it might be better to say that A holes hae opinions.

Chuck

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to all this. IT2M says you submitted your blog for a review. Is that true? If so, why would you submit your blog & then whine about it or pick a fight with them? It doesn't make sense to me.
Like I said I'm a newbie, but still, from 1 visit at IT2M, I know better than to submit my blog. Duh

Madeline

(I don't know how to add my blog address)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Bravo 2-1 said...

Thanks, Madeline. Check out the remarks from their first review of my blog. I sort of jabbed back that it wasn't very funny. Some of their reviews are pretty funny. Then I responded to the complete ignorance of the United States military on the part of RW and NYC Watchdog.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home