Sectarian violence continues at alarming pace
We know the metrics that the military is using to evaluate the situation in Iraq (my emphasis) :
There are four "key reads" in this peace to chaos spectrum.BBC News:
1. Political/religious leaders increase public hostile rhetoric
2. Political/religious leaders lose moderating influence over constituents
3. Provocative sectarian attacks/assassinations
4. Unorganized spontaneous mass civil conflict
There are ten additional indicators.
1. Militias expand security role
3. Police ineffectual
4. Army ineffectual
5. Neighbors enable violence
6. Sectarian tensions/violence displace population
7. Sectarian conflicts between/within ISF forces
8. ISF refuse to take orders from central government, mass desertion
9. Kurdish accelerate moves toward secession/annexing Kirkuk
10. Low level violence motivated by sectarian differences
Baghdad police say they have found 56 bodies, some showing signs of torture, in various locations around the city in the past 24 hours.
Correspondents say many were probably victims of sectarian attacks, while others could have been targeted by criminal gangs seeking ransoms.